Skip to main content

Week 7 - 8/12

On Tuesday, I learned about mitochondrial DNA. This is something I want to do a scholarship video on.

On Wednesday, I continued to learn about mitochondrial DNA compared to Nuclear DNA. I checked on my cells, they have been growing really slowly and I needed to make sure they were still doing okay. Then at the end, I learned how to graph IncuCyte data.

On Thursday, I continued to work on my mitochondrial DNA video. I also added new media to my cells so hopefully by tomorrow or early next week they will be ready to split.


On Friday, I helped Bea with a Western Blot. I have come to really enjoy these, the proteins are so cool. I have so far only had one that went really badly which seems to be kind of like a record so knock on wood! I am sad that next week will be my last in the lab since I have had so much fun.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All the pictures

Consortium Poster Dr. Somarelli and I with my poster creating a gel my cells!!! qPCR test Cells in Cellvo plate Splitting cells in Tissue Culture cells in the regular plate cells colonizing Western Blot in the process of running Loading a Western Blot

About Me

 Hello, My name is Elyse Schechter. I go to Apex High School (roll cougs) where I am a part of the Academy of Information Technology (AOIT) program. In this program, I learned very important soft skills such as interviewing, communicating, and presenting along with hard skills such as computer coding. In this program, I have become a much more confident public speaker and also became Microsoft Word and PowerPoint 2016 certified. I have been exposed to 4 different coding languages (visual basic, C#, SAS, and java) and given the opportunity to participate in an internship at a place of my choice. I interned at the Duke Cancer Institute, which is why this blog was started. Part of my assignments for this internship was to write updates for every 5-10 hours of work and write about what I enjoyed about the workplace. 

The Experience

As I have started hearing back from colleges and thinking more about where I would like to go for my future, I have thought a lot about my internship. I had an incredible time working with the people I did. They were all smart, passionate, creative, and extremely driven people that I want to be like. Working hands-on in a lab was something I looked forward to doing every single day. I believe that I have found the thing I was meant to do and it is very exciting. I am so thankful for this internship for allowing me to discover that and for AOIT for giving me the opportunity to push myself and to be in this situation.