Skip to main content

What is DNA?


Image result for dna structureDNA, or deoxyribonucleic acid, is the instruction kit for every living thing. Everyone and everything has DNA.

DNA is a double-stranded molecule that is made of a repeating pattern of a phosphate group, a sugar group, and a nitrogenous base. These bases are either A, T, C, or G. A and G are called ___ and T and C are called ___. A and T will always be paired and C and G will always be paired. Otherwise, the space between each strand will not fit the pair.

Each strand begins with the 5' and ends with the 3' end. These strands run opposite each other which will be important to remember when looking at replication. The 5'-3' strand is called the sense strand or the leading strand and the 3'-5' strand is called the antisense strand or lagging strand. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All the pictures

Consortium Poster Dr. Somarelli and I with my poster creating a gel my cells!!! qPCR test Cells in Cellvo plate Splitting cells in Tissue Culture cells in the regular plate cells colonizing Western Blot in the process of running Loading a Western Blot

About Me

 Hello, My name is Elyse Schechter. I go to Apex High School (roll cougs) where I am a part of the Academy of Information Technology (AOIT) program. In this program, I learned very important soft skills such as interviewing, communicating, and presenting along with hard skills such as computer coding. In this program, I have become a much more confident public speaker and also became Microsoft Word and PowerPoint 2016 certified. I have been exposed to 4 different coding languages (visual basic, C#, SAS, and java) and given the opportunity to participate in an internship at a place of my choice. I interned at the Duke Cancer Institute, which is why this blog was started. Part of my assignments for this internship was to write updates for every 5-10 hours of work and write about what I enjoyed about the workplace. 

The Experience

As I have started hearing back from colleges and thinking more about where I would like to go for my future, I have thought a lot about my internship. I had an incredible time working with the people I did. They were all smart, passionate, creative, and extremely driven people that I want to be like. Working hands-on in a lab was something I looked forward to doing every single day. I believe that I have found the thing I was meant to do and it is very exciting. I am so thankful for this internship for allowing me to discover that and for AOIT for giving me the opportunity to push myself and to be in this situation.