Skip to main content

Week 5 - 7/22

On Monday, we watched the first presentations with the U54 group. This experience made me very appreciative of my AOIT presentation training. While they knew a significant amount about their research, their power points and presentations were not as engaging as I had hoped. I will be presenting next Monday on the things that I have started doing.

On Tuesday, I went to receive my first paper check from the payment office which I thought would be a nice walk through campus but turned out quite the opposite. Once I returned there was not much science work for me to do so I worked on my U54 presentation, helped make a few master mixes for a qPCR and worked on the review paper.

On Wednesday, I extracted RNA from a sample Bea was working on. Then later in the afternoon, I worked with Dolphin blood. We made several dilutions of it and added a mix which turned it blue.

On Thursday, I ran four western blots on my own. These will eventually be used to test different antibodies. These are the first westerns I have run completely by myself. The gels did rip some but I am hoping that they still transferred well.

On Friday, I started by extracting RNA for Bea. I used that RNA to run RT as well. I also ran second antibodies on a few western blots that were made a few days ago.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All the pictures

Consortium Poster Dr. Somarelli and I with my poster creating a gel my cells!!! qPCR test Cells in Cellvo plate Splitting cells in Tissue Culture cells in the regular plate cells colonizing Western Blot in the process of running Loading a Western Blot

About Me

 Hello, My name is Elyse Schechter. I go to Apex High School (roll cougs) where I am a part of the Academy of Information Technology (AOIT) program. In this program, I learned very important soft skills such as interviewing, communicating, and presenting along with hard skills such as computer coding. In this program, I have become a much more confident public speaker and also became Microsoft Word and PowerPoint 2016 certified. I have been exposed to 4 different coding languages (visual basic, C#, SAS, and java) and given the opportunity to participate in an internship at a place of my choice. I interned at the Duke Cancer Institute, which is why this blog was started. Part of my assignments for this internship was to write updates for every 5-10 hours of work and write about what I enjoyed about the workplace. 

The Experience

As I have started hearing back from colleges and thinking more about where I would like to go for my future, I have thought a lot about my internship. I had an incredible time working with the people I did. They were all smart, passionate, creative, and extremely driven people that I want to be like. Working hands-on in a lab was something I looked forward to doing every single day. I believe that I have found the thing I was meant to do and it is very exciting. I am so thankful for this internship for allowing me to discover that and for AOIT for giving me the opportunity to push myself and to be in this situation.