Skip to main content

DNA Replication



DNA replication is considered a semi-conservative process. The double helix shape is unwound and each side of the original DNA strand is the template for two new strands.
Image result for replication fork
To begin the process of DNA replication, an enzyme called Helicase breaks the weak hydrogen bonds between nitrogenous bases. This shape is called a replication fork.

After the hydrogen bonds are broken, new bases can start to be added to the original copy. Starting on the Leading or the 3'-5' strand, bases can continuously be added. The lagging or 5'-3' strand is a little trickier. DNA polymerase, the enzyme that adds nitrogenous bases, can only work in the 3'-5' direction. To make up for this on the lagging strand, DNA polymerase must work in sections. These sections are called Okazaki fragments.
Illustration showing replication of the leading and lagging strands of DNA.
After the bases are laid down, exonuclease, another enzyme, seals any gaps left in the bases. Finally, another enzyme called DNA ligase completes the backbone to create two new DNA strands.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All the pictures

Consortium Poster Dr. Somarelli and I with my poster creating a gel my cells!!! qPCR test Cells in Cellvo plate Splitting cells in Tissue Culture cells in the regular plate cells colonizing Western Blot in the process of running Loading a Western Blot

About Me

 Hello, My name is Elyse Schechter. I go to Apex High School (roll cougs) where I am a part of the Academy of Information Technology (AOIT) program. In this program, I learned very important soft skills such as interviewing, communicating, and presenting along with hard skills such as computer coding. In this program, I have become a much more confident public speaker and also became Microsoft Word and PowerPoint 2016 certified. I have been exposed to 4 different coding languages (visual basic, C#, SAS, and java) and given the opportunity to participate in an internship at a place of my choice. I interned at the Duke Cancer Institute, which is why this blog was started. Part of my assignments for this internship was to write updates for every 5-10 hours of work and write about what I enjoyed about the workplace. 

The Experience

As I have started hearing back from colleges and thinking more about where I would like to go for my future, I have thought a lot about my internship. I had an incredible time working with the people I did. They were all smart, passionate, creative, and extremely driven people that I want to be like. Working hands-on in a lab was something I looked forward to doing every single day. I believe that I have found the thing I was meant to do and it is very exciting. I am so thankful for this internship for allowing me to discover that and for AOIT for giving me the opportunity to push myself and to be in this situation.