Skip to main content

First Abstract

Today I submitted an abstract I helped write to a convention hopefully to be selected to present a poster there. I am super excited about this because I think it is so cool that I will have my name on a scientific abstract, especially one that I wrote.

This happened very quickly, Dr. Somarelli told me about it and asked me to have it done by the end of the next day. I had never written an abstract before so I was a little confused. This was also based on data that I had found, but I wasn't completely sure how to analyze it. One thing about Dr. Somarelli is that he is very focused on teaching me to learn how to figure things out for myself. He will provide excellent guidance but he never tells me exactly how to do an assignment. I worked hard on it for the little time I had and showed my work to him to be edited before it was submitted. I did not think that it was exceptionally good, not bad but I knew it could be better. But to my surprise, Dr. Somarelli was very pleased with what I had done for my first abstract ever. There were quite a few changes that had to be made but I think I did well on it overall.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All the pictures

Consortium Poster Dr. Somarelli and I with my poster creating a gel my cells!!! qPCR test Cells in Cellvo plate Splitting cells in Tissue Culture cells in the regular plate cells colonizing Western Blot in the process of running Loading a Western Blot

About Me

 Hello, My name is Elyse Schechter. I go to Apex High School (roll cougs) where I am a part of the Academy of Information Technology (AOIT) program. In this program, I learned very important soft skills such as interviewing, communicating, and presenting along with hard skills such as computer coding. In this program, I have become a much more confident public speaker and also became Microsoft Word and PowerPoint 2016 certified. I have been exposed to 4 different coding languages (visual basic, C#, SAS, and java) and given the opportunity to participate in an internship at a place of my choice. I interned at the Duke Cancer Institute, which is why this blog was started. Part of my assignments for this internship was to write updates for every 5-10 hours of work and write about what I enjoyed about the workplace. 

The Experience

As I have started hearing back from colleges and thinking more about where I would like to go for my future, I have thought a lot about my internship. I had an incredible time working with the people I did. They were all smart, passionate, creative, and extremely driven people that I want to be like. Working hands-on in a lab was something I looked forward to doing every single day. I believe that I have found the thing I was meant to do and it is very exciting. I am so thankful for this internship for allowing me to discover that and for AOIT for giving me the opportunity to push myself and to be in this situation.