Skip to main content

About the Internship

My internship is at Duke Cancer Center, and my supervisor is Dr. Jason Somarelli. Their purpose is various types of cancer research to search for treatment options, cures, and making advancements in the medical field's understanding of cancer. I will be working from home for the beginning of the internship since most of the other people there are undergraduate or graduate students at Duke University who are interested in Cancer research and Genetics. But I will also be working alongside these undergraduates or graduate students to help get progress towards whatever project we happen to be working on.

In my internship, I have a few vague learning objectives that can fit into a variety of tasks. (Listed below) I also have a few responsibilities that will be completed throughout the internship. (These will be listed below the learning objectives)

  • How to integrate technology into a biology/medical research field
  • Analyze molecular biology data
  • How to use information technology to communicate complex biological concepts through models
  • Design experiments
  • Perform experiments
  • Interpret experiments data
  • Writing/presenting data to a team


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All the pictures

Consortium Poster Dr. Somarelli and I with my poster creating a gel my cells!!! qPCR test Cells in Cellvo plate Splitting cells in Tissue Culture cells in the regular plate cells colonizing Western Blot in the process of running Loading a Western Blot

About Me

 Hello, My name is Elyse Schechter. I go to Apex High School (roll cougs) where I am a part of the Academy of Information Technology (AOIT) program. In this program, I learned very important soft skills such as interviewing, communicating, and presenting along with hard skills such as computer coding. In this program, I have become a much more confident public speaker and also became Microsoft Word and PowerPoint 2016 certified. I have been exposed to 4 different coding languages (visual basic, C#, SAS, and java) and given the opportunity to participate in an internship at a place of my choice. I interned at the Duke Cancer Institute, which is why this blog was started. Part of my assignments for this internship was to write updates for every 5-10 hours of work and write about what I enjoyed about the workplace. 

The Experience

As I have started hearing back from colleges and thinking more about where I would like to go for my future, I have thought a lot about my internship. I had an incredible time working with the people I did. They were all smart, passionate, creative, and extremely driven people that I want to be like. Working hands-on in a lab was something I looked forward to doing every single day. I believe that I have found the thing I was meant to do and it is very exciting. I am so thankful for this internship for allowing me to discover that and for AOIT for giving me the opportunity to push myself and to be in this situation.